If you follow me on instagram, then you’ve probably already seen the photo above. It is a commercial space I have been courting for the last few weeks.
The space is a mile from my house, on a pretty busy street, beautiful windows with tons of light, HUGE square footage (more than I need) and the best part it was in my price range. The downside was it need a lot of work just to get up to par, but the affordable rent and the size made it SO appealing and perfect for me.
I looked at it once a few weeks ago, then came back a week later with my husband to get a second look. The owners knew I was interested and were negotiating with me. I said I wanted to come back with a contractor to get estimates before I committed and they agreed.
I came back again this past Thursday with one contractor, and a again the next day. I still loved the space was REALLY interested in renting it. That day, I had a gut feeling that if I didn’t put in an offer soon, they place would be taken by someone else, but I wanted to be prudent. When I visited with building manager AND spoke with the owner on the phone, both of them said they wanted me in that space, and that they were waiting for me to make a decision. I told them I really wanted it, but just need a few more days to decide.
The very next day, less than 12 hours later – I got a text from the owner saying the space was taken!! My heart was BROKEN. (I even cried a little) Even though, I knew I wanted the place, I had waited, and I was totally kicking myself for letting it get away. I had envisioned how I would use each of the rooms, where presses would go, and how the retail would be laid out… I guess there such thing as too cautious. First lesson learned is trust your gut! If he had not told me he would wait, I would have put in my deposit on Friday.
24 hours later – the more I’ve thought about it (and talked about it endlessly with my friends, my mom, my husband, on social media, pretty much everyone..) the more I’m coming to terms with the fact that it’s for the best. How SHADY was it for the owner to tell me he wanted me in the space, and then give it to someone else without even contacting me first, or giving me a chance to put in an offer. I had put in an application. I had told him I wanted it. And then he sends me a TEXT message (not even a phone call) to say it’s no longer available. I tried calling him afterwards to discuss what happened, and to see if there’s still a way we can work out a deal or at least I can get an explanation, but he has avoided my calls, and I’m pretty sure I won’t hear from him again. Do I really want someone with that character as my landlord? Probably not.
I will find somewhere else and it will be fine. It won’t be as big or cheap, but will be better in other ways. I just don’t know how yet. I will end up paying more money for a smaller space, but I won’t have to invest as much money in build out. Maybe it will be in a better location with better foot traffic? Still close to home, but with better street exposure.
In the meantime, I can focus my energies on gearing up for the National Stationery Show and other aspects of the business. AND I won’t have to invest so much of my own energy (and money) into restoring and building out someone else’s space..
Sigh…. what a roller coaster!
On a side/related note I’m sorry, I haven’t posted any NSS Prep updates yet this year, but I plan on posting some updates soon. I hope you’re weekend was better than mine! Did you get up to anything fun?